Recently, I started to do trainings on Microsoft Business Intelligence technology and after each training few people come up to me and ask questions like: “How can we further improve our skills and knowledge? What are good sources for further study?” Because I started to get these questions a lot, I decided to write a blog post to summarize my favorite knowledge sources.
Books are a good start to expand your knowledge. They provide a consolidated overview on the topic.
Kimball’s Data Warehouse Toolkit Classics
- Must read set for anybody starting with Data Warehousing. Years of experience applicable at any DWH project.
Expert Cube Development
- Great book explaining patterns for SSAS development from the SSAS gurus Alberto Ferrari, Chris Webb and Marco Russo.
The Definitive Guide to DAX
- Great book for learning DAX.
Blogs are a great way to stay at the top of latest happening. Here are my favorites, best served hot from RSS oven.
Microsoft Server & Tools Blogs
- Want to have it all!!! Great set of blogs directly from the Microsoft kitchen.
Business Intelligence Blogs
MS – Data Platform Blogs
- Great overview of various BI tools specialized with comparison to MS BI tool stack.
- Must follow blog from iconic Chris Web about SSAS, MDX, DAX and Power BI
- SSAS, Power BI & DAX must follow.
- Great blog on overview of Microsoft BI news (BI-NSIGHT).
- Great series of blog posts on Power Pivot from former Power Pivot engineers.
- Series of blogs on Excel and Get & Transform (Power Query) feature from the author of great Power Query book “M is for data monkey”, Ken Puls.
Under sites I’ve placed interesting sites which can help you boost your knowledge or aggregate links to various other sources.
- Great site to showcase various DAX calculations for various use cases.
Born To Learn
- Site full of blogs, forums and study groups for Microsoft certifications.
- World’s largest community for SQL Server. You can find many local and virtual communities with lots of learning and networking possibilities.
Contains many useful samples and MSBI community projects like:
OLAP Pivot Table Extension
SSRS MSBuild Tasks
Microsoft SQL Server Community Samples: Analysis Services
SSIS Community Tasks and Components
SSIS Log Analyzer
Similar site as CodePlex, but hosted on the GitHub versioning repository. Favorite projects:
World Wide Importers (Sample Database)
You Tube Channels
Videos from various channels with hands on labs, samples and presentations.
PASS Data Warehousing and Business Intelligence Virtual Chapter
- Data Warehousing and Business Intelligence topics from many PASS presenters.
PASS Big Data Virtual Chapter
- Big Data on Microsoft Data Platform.
- DBAs must see section.
PASS Business Analytics Virtual Chapter
- Great section for analysts.
- Tons of short videos showing latest features and a lot of educational content.
The above mentioned summary is not a complete list nor the best one. It’s my favorite one from which I learned the most. What are your favorite ones?
This blog was… how do I say it? Relevant!! Finally I’ve found
something that helped me. Thanks!
Thanks for the comment. I’m glad it helps.
Very Impressive MSBI. The content seems to be pretty exhaustive and excellent and will definitely help in learning MSBI. I’m also a learner taken up MSBI training and I think your content has cleared some concepts of mine. While browsing for MSBI tutorials on YouTube i found this fantastic video on MSBI. Do check it out if you are interested to know more. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEnhRELiviQ. You can also check this Intellipaat review on MSBI course and know how they are transforming careers.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QccwZC8Ngfs&t=s